Saturday, August 13, 2022

God's Word is more certain than my faith in it

"Choose whether you wish to risk being saved on the basis of God’s Word and institution or on your faith!  I say, 'Certainly I believe today, but I do not know what tomorrow will bring.'  God’s truth is more certain than my heart, and his Word is more certain than my faith."

"Elige, an velis salutem tuam wagen auff gots wort und ordnung an tuam fidem?  Ego dico:  certe hodie credo, sed nescio, quid eras.  Dei veritas est certior corde meo et verbum eius certius mea fide."

     Martin Luther, Sermon on the afternoon of Septuagesima Sunday, 9 February 1528, as trans. Robert Robert Kolb in "'What benefit does the soul receive from a handful of water?': Luther’s preaching on Baptism, 1528-1539," Concordia journal 25, no. 4 (October 1999):  355 (346–363).  =WA 27, 45 ll. 9-11.

 

No comments: