Sunday, August 7, 2022

"that which I cannot conceive is not an illusion"

"[A case of contradictories which are true.  God exists : God does not exist.  Where is the problem?  I am quite sure that there is a God in the sense that I am quite sure that my love is not illusory.  I am quite sure that there is not a God in the sense that I am quite sure nothing real can be anything like what I am able to conceive when I pronounce this word [(nom)].  But that which I cannot conceive is not an illusion.]"

"[. . . Mais cela que je ne puis concevoir n’est pas une illusion.]"

     Simone Weil, Gravity and grace, trans. Emma Craufurd (London:  Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1963 [1952]), 103 (Thibon:  "Atheism as purification").  Cahier 4 (1941) =Cahiers I, nouvelle edition, revue et augmentee (Paris:  Plon, 1970), 258.  The significance of the brackets is not, so far as I have been able to tell, anywhere clarified.  Presumably, then, they are Weil's own.

No comments: