Thursday, October 8, 2026

Simone Weil on (indirectly) pacifism (or, at least, the French pacifists of the 1930s)

     "Indirect mechanism of a crime.
     "My criminal error, before 1939, concerning pacifist circles and their activity, was due to incapacity caused by the devastation of physical pain for so many years.  Being in no state to observe their action at close quarters by meeting and talking with them, I failed to detect their propensity for treason.  But I could easily have reflected that the state I was in disqualified me from serious responsibilities and made it obligatory to refrain from them.  What prevented me from seeing this was the sin of laziness, the temptation of inertia.  I desired so intensely to refrain from that sort of responsibility that I dared not consider impartially the legitimate reasons for refraining; like a seminary pupil tortured by violent carnal desires who dare not so much as look at a woman.
     "I had so often succumbed to laziness and intertia in small things that when I was faced with something important I felt I must blindly resist the temptation of inertia—instead of coolly examining the possible advantages and disadvantages of action or inaction.
     "Thus the weakness of not writing a letter, or not making my bed one day when I felt tired, by accumulating in the course of many days, finally led me to the sin of criminal negligence towards my country."

          Simone Weil, "London notebook, 1943," in First and last notebooks, trans. Richard Rees, (London:  Oxford University Press, 1970), 345-346.

No comments: