"And sometimes, though not often, I see another light in that [shadow of the living] light, and this I have called 'the Living Light.' But I am even less able to explain how I see this light than I am the other one. Suffice it to say that when I do see it, all my sorrow and pain vanish from my memory and I become more like a young girl than an old women [(atque interim dum illam intueor, omnis mihi tristitia ommsque dolor de memoria aufertur, ita ut tunc mores simplices puelle, et non uetule mulieris habeam)]."
St. Hildegard of Bingen, Letter 103r to the monk [St.] Guilbert of Gembloux (1175), Letters of Hildegard of Bingen, trans. Joseph L. Baird & Radd K. Ehrman, vol. 2 (New York: Oxford University Press, 1998), 23 (21-25). Latin as supplied by Jörg Ulrich, "Vision bei Hildegard von Bingen: Beobachtungen zur Vita Gottfrieds und Theoderichs und zu den Visionsschriften Hildegards," Kerygma und Dogma 47 (2001): 15n3 (14-29).
Friday, August 14, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment