Friday, July 28, 2023

for I am mindful of my price, worth, or value

Thyssen-Bornemisza
Collection
"Let not the proud disparage me, for I am mindful of my ransom. I eat it, I drink it, I dispense it to others, and as a poor man I long to be filled with it among those who are fed and feasted."

"non calumnientur mihi superbi, quoniam cogito pretium meum et manduco et bibo et erogo et pauper cupio saturari ex eo inter illos, qui edunt et saturantur. . . ."

     St. Augustine, Confessions 10.(43.)70, trans. Liturgy of the hours (Universalis).  CCL 27, as reproduced in Past Masters, does not appear to flag "Let not the proud disparage me" as a biblical quotation, but Ps 118:122 does read, in the Vulgata iuxta LXX, "non calumnientur me superbi", and in the Vulgata iuxta Hebraicum, "ne calumnientur me superbi."  For the O'Donnell commentary on this passage, go here.

No comments: