Thursday, July 2, 2020

"The Gospel terrifies me"

Or, Love, and you won't be allowed to do what you will:

"the gospel terrifies me [(terret me euangelium)]. I could easily say, you see, 'What business is it of mine to be wearisome to people; to say to the wicked, "Don't act wickedly, act like this, stop acting like that"? What business is it of mine to be burdensome to people? I've received instructions how I should live; let me live as I've been told to, as I've been commanded. Let me sign for what I have received; why should I give an account for others?' The gospel terrifies me [(euangelium me terret)]; because nobody could outdo me in enjoying such anxiety-free leisure. There's nothing better, nothing more pleasant than to search through the divine treasure chest with nobody making a commotion; it's pleasant, it's good. But to preach, to refute, to rebuke, to build up, to manage for everybody, that's a great burden, a great weight, a great labor. Who wouldn't run away from this labor? But the gospel terrifies [(terret euangelium)]".

     St. Augustine, Sermon 339.4, On the anniversary of his ordination (425), trans. Edmund Hill, WSA III/9 (Hyde Park, NY:  New City Press, 1994), 282.

No comments: