Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Aquinas in the first person

"Therefore, with trust in divine mercy, pursuing the task of a wise man, although this surpasses our own powers, our intention is to clarify, in our own small way, the truth which the Catholic faith professes, eliminating contrary errors.  [At this point St. Thomas speaks, as he very rarely does, in the first person:]  I do this so that I may make my own the words of Hilary:  I am mindful that I owe this to God as the greatest task of my life, that my every word and thought may speak of him."

"Assumpta igitur ex divina pietate fiducia sapientis officium prosequendi, quamvis proprias vires excedat, propositum nostrae intentionis est veritatem quam fides Catholica profitetur, pro nostro modulo manifestare, errores eliminando contrarios: ut enim verbis Hilarii utar, ego hoc vel praecipuum vitae meae officium debere me Deo conscius sum, ut eum omnis sermo meus et sensus loquatur."

     St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra Gentiles I.2[.2], as translated Fr. Simon Francis Gaine, O.P., "Introduction to the life and work of St. Thomas Aquinas," Angelicum Thomistic Institute 2022 Student Summer Seminar "Aquinas, Philosophy, & Contemporary Science," 3-6 July 2022, at c. 22:13The Latin from here, where the Shapcote (FEDP) translation (with my emendations) appears: 

"Therefore, assuming the office of the wise man with confidence from God’s loving kindness, although it surpasses our own powers, the purpose we have in view is, in our own weak way, to declare the truth which the Catholic faith professes, while weeding out contrary errors; for, in the words of Hilary [(for, in order that I might make my own the words of Hilary)], I acknowledge that I owe my life’s chief occupation to God [(I am conscious of this, that I owe the chief office of my life to God)], so that every word and every thought of mine may speak of him [(On the Trinity 1, 37 =PL 10, col. 48)]."

Trans. Pegis:

"And so, in the name of the divine Mercy, I have the confidence to embark upon the work of a wise man, even though this may surpass my powers, and I have set myself the task of making known, as far as my limited powers will allow, the truth that the Catholic faith professes, and of setting aside the errors that are opposed to it.  To use the words of Hilary:  'I am aware that I owe this to God as the chief duty of my life, that my every word and sense may speak of Him.'"

No comments: