Thursday, July 28, 2022

"the courage to refuse things that it is not right to taste" (i.e. pretence)

Christoph Weigel
'"Such pretense is not worthy of our time of life, . . . lest many of the young should suppose that Elea′zar in his ninetieth year has gone over to an alien religion, and through my pretense, for the sake of living a brief moment longer, they should be led astray because of me, while I defile and disgrace my old age.'"

     Eleazar/Eleazaros the scribe, at 2 Maccabees 6:24-25 RSVNETS (Joachim Shaper):

"'To pretend [(ὑποκριθῆναι)] is not worthy of our time of life, . . . for many of the young might suppose that Eleazaros in his ninetieth year had gone over to allophylism, and through my pretence [(ὑπόκρισιν)], for the sake of living a brief moment longer, they would be led astray because of me, while I defile and disgrace my old age.'"

No comments: