Tuesday, September 1, 2020

I have hoped exceedingly

Lord, listen to my cry; all my trust is in your promise. | Lord, listen to my cry; all my trust is in your promise. | Dawn finds me watching, crying out for you, | all my trust is in your promise.

     Response to the reading, Morning prayer, Liturgy of the hours,

Vocem meam audi, Domine; In verba tua supersperavi.
Vocem meam audi, Domine; In verba tua supersperavi.
Praeveni diluculo et clamavi.
In verba tua supersperavi.

     Did St. Jerome coin the term supersperavi (which Lewis & Short translates, perhaps erroneously (?), as "I have hoped exceedingly" (though super doesn't ever qualify spero therein)) for the purpose of translating the ἐπήλπισα (ἐπελπίζω) of the Septuagint?  He uses expectavi whenever, in Ps 119 (vv. 43, 74, 81, and 114), he is translating יָחַלἐπελπίζω ("buoy up with hope, pin one's hope on, hope in, hope besides") is present in classical Greek (Liddell & Scott), but superspero, not (I suspect) in classical Latin (though I haven't yet checked the second edition of the Oxford Latin dictionary).

No comments: