Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fenton on Downton Abbey

     "The greatest rival to the English country house tradition is the Russian, with its rich suggestions of a feudal system in decline, and with its great questions hanging in the air:  How shall I live to some purpose?  How can I reform the world I know?  Those who ask such questions may be querulous and ineffectual, but the questions themselves are intelligent and profound, whereas the great questions that hang over the English country house come, for the most part, from the far side of stupid:  Can I score a personal triumph at the flower show while forgoing first prize for my roses?  Can I secure my lord's affection by pretending to go rescue his dog?"

     James Fenton, "The Abbey that jumped the shark," Times literary supplement, March 8, 2012, p. 27.

No comments: