Thursday, April 2, 2020

Zwingli's "Gebetslied in der Pest"

A Christian song written by Huldrych Zwingli when he was attacked by the pestilence.

I. At the Beginning of the Illness.

Help, Lord God help
In this trouble!
I think, Death
is at the door.
Stand before me, Christ;
For Thou hast overcome him!
To Thee I cry;
If it is Thy will,
Take out the dart,
Which wounds me!
Nor lets me have an hour’s
Rest or repose!
Will’st Thou however
That Death take me
In the midst of my days,
So let it be!
Do what Thou wilt;
Me nothing lacks.
Thy vessel am I;
To make or break altogether.
For, if Thou takest away
My spirit
From this earth,
Thou dost it, that it may not grow worse,
Nor spot
The pious lives and ways of others.

II. In the Midst of His Illness.

Console me, Lord God, console me!
The illness increases,
Pain and fear seize
My soul and body.
Come to me then,
With Thy grace, O my only consolation!
It will surely save Everyone, who
His heart’s desire
And hope sets
On Thee, and who besides
Despises all gain and loss.
Now all is up.
My tongue is dumb,
It cannot speak a word.
My senses are all blighted.
Therefore is it time
That Thou my fight
Conductest hereafter;
Since I am not
So strong, that I
Can bravely
Make resistance
To the Devil’s wiles and treacherous hand.
Still will my spirit
Constantly abide by Thee, however he rages.

III. During Convalescence.

Sound, Lord God, sound!
I think, I am
Already coming back.
Yes, if it please Thee,
That no spark of sin
Rule me longer on earth,
Then my lips must
Thy praise and teaching
Bespeak more
Than ever before,
However it may go,
In simplicity and with no danger.
Although I must
The punishment of death
Sometime endure
Perhaps with greater anguish,
Than would now have
Happened, Lord!
Since I came
So near;
So will I still
The spite and boasting
Of this world
Bear joyfully for the sake of the reward
By Thy help,
Without which nothing can be perfect.
Ein christenlich gsang gestalt durch H. Z., als er mit pestilentz angriffen ward.


[1.] Im anfang der kranckheit.

     Hilff, herr got, hilff
in diser not!
Ich mein, der tod
sey an der thür.
Stand, Christe, für,
dann du in überwunden hast!
Zů dir rich gilff:
Ist es dein will,
züch uß den pfyl,
der mich verwundt!
Nit laß ein stund
mich haben weder růw noch rast!
Wilt du dann glych
tod haben mich
in mitz der tagen min,
so sol es willig sin.
Thů, wie du wilt;
mich nüt befilt.
Din haf bin ich.
Mach gantz ald brich;
dann, nimpst du hin
den geiste min
von diser erd,
thůst du’s, daß er nit böser werd
ald andren nit
befleck ir läben fromm und sit.

[2.] In mitten der kranckheit.

     Tröst, herr got, tröst!
Die kranckheit wachßt,
wee und angst faßt
min seel und lyb.
Darumb dich schyb
gen mir, einiger trost, mit gnad,
die gwüß erlößt
ein yeden, der
sin hertzlich bgär
und hoffnung setzt
in dich, verschetzt
darzů diß zyt all nutz und schad.
Nun ist es umm.
Min zung ist stumm,
mag sprechen nit ein wort.
Min sinn sind all verdort.
Darumb ist zyt,
das du min stryt
fůrist fürhin,
so ich nit bin
so starck, daß ich
mög dapfferlich
thůn widerstand
deß tüfels facht unnd fräffner hand.
Doch wirt min gmůt
stat blyben dir, wie er ioch wůt.


[3.] In der besserung.

     Gsund, herr got, gsund!
Ich mein, ich ker
schon widrumb her.
Ja, wenn dich dunckt,
der sünden funck
werd nit mer bherrschen mich uff erd,
so můß min mund
din lob unnd leer
ußsprechen mer
dann vormals ye,
wie es ioch gen,
einfaltigklich on alle gferd.
Wiewol ich můß
deß todes bůß
erleyden zwar ein mal
vilicht mit grösserm qual,
dann yetzund wer
geschähen, her,
so ich sunst bin
nach gfaren hin;
so wil ich doch
den trutz und boch
in diser wält
tragen frölich umb widergelt
mit hilffe din,
on den nüt mag vollkummen sin.

     Huldrych Zwingli, "Ein christenlich gsang gestalt durch H. Z., als er mit pestilentz angriffen ward" (1519/1525), trans. Samuel Macauley Jackson, Huldreich Zwingli:  the reformer of German Switzerland, 1484-1531, 2nd ed., rev. (New York and London:  G. P. Putnam's Sons, The Knickerbocker Press, 1900), 132-134 =CR 88, 67-69.  For more on this, see Thomas Martin Schneider, "Der Mensch als 'Gefäß Gottes': Huldrych Zwinglis Gebetslied in der Pest und die Frage nach seiner reformatorischen Wende," Zwingliana 35 (2008):  5-21, who summarizes the debate over 1) date of composition (late 1519 to the second half of 1525) on the one hand, and 2) Catholic, humanistic, or reformed content on the other, before opting for 2) a clearly Reformed content, but rooted in a characteristically "providential or predestinarian 'vessel of God' theology" consistent with, though not necessarily dependent on, the Luther who took Erasmus on in December of 1525; a reformed content that nevertheless 2) needn't necessarily settle the question of date of composition (in favor of, say, late 1525).

No comments: