Friday, March 29, 2013

"we must never avert our eyes from those elements in [Christianity] which seem puzzling or repellent"

"If Christianity could tell me no more of the far-off land than my own temperament led me to surmise already, then Christianity would be no higher than myself.  If it has more to give me, I must expect it to be less immediately attractive than 'my own stuff'. . . . If our religion is something objective, then we must never avert our eyes from those elements in it which seem puzzling or repellent; for it will be precisely the puzzling or repellent which conceals what we do not yet know and need to know."

     C. S. Lewis, "The weight of glory," in The weight of glory and other addresses (New York:  Macmillan, 1949) =Transposition and other addresses (London:  G. Bles, 1949), 7.


No comments: