Monday, January 21, 2013

What I longed for, I now see; what I hoped for, I now possess; in heaven I am espoused to him whom on earth I loved with all my heart.

Ecce quod concupivi, iam video; quod speravi, iam teneo: ipsi sum iuncta in cælo, quem in terris posita, tota devotione dilexi.

Lo, what I desired I now do see; what I did hope for I now possess; now am I united in heaven to him whom I loved with my whole heart upon earth.

     Antiphon assigned to the Benedictus, Morning prayer (Lauds), Feast of St. Agnes (21 January).  Translation no. 1 from Christian prayer:  the Liturgy of the hours (1976), 1067; translation no. 2 from The Anglican breviary (1998 [1955]), E58 =1078.  "ipsi sum iuncta in cælo, quem in terris posita, tota devotione dilexi" echoes PL 17, col. 820A:  "illi sum juncta in coelis, quem in terris posita tota devotione dilexi."  Cf. Acta sanctorum at 21 January (January II, pp. 714 ff.), which I haven't yet examined.  For some lovely manuscripts inclusive of this antiphon, including one from the 10th century, see the relevant entry in CANTUS.

No comments: