Monday, April 20, 2009

St. John of Damascus on matter

"I do not worship matter; I worship the Creator of matter who became matter for my sake, who willed to take His abode in matter; who worked out my salvation through matter.  Never will I cease honoring the matter which wrought my salvation! . . . God's body is God because it is joined to His person by a union which shall never pass away. . . . Because of this I salute all remaining matter with reverence, because God has filled it with His grace and power.  Through it my salvation has come to me."

St. John of Damascus, First apology of St. John of Damascus against those who attack the divine images 16, in St. John of Damascus on the divine images, trans. David Anderson (Crestwood, NY:  St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1980),  23.  Cf. Second apology 14, pp. 61-62.

No comments: